What is WCEF?
WCEF is a volunteer-led, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, Tax I.D. #94-2915151. We raise funds through a broad-based community effort to support quality academic and enrichment programs and student support services for all students attending schools in the Walnut Creek School District and at Las Lomas High School of the Acalanes Union High School District. K-8 schools in the WCSD feed directly into Las Lomas High School.
WCEF’s volunteer board is comprised of an executive committee, trustees, and advisory members. WCEF is also supported by a part-time paid office staff – an executive director and data manager.
What schools does WCEF serve?
We serve all five elementary schools and Walnut Creek Intermediate School in the Walnut Creek School District and Las Lomas High School in the Acalanes Union High School District.
What programs are being funded for the current school year?
Click here to see the list of programs and the funding budget for the 2011-2012 school year.
How is funding determined?
Funding needed to preserve or enhance basic curriculum is identified and prioritized as a collaborative process between WCEF, both Districts and school administrators. Funding decisions are based on the respective District’s budgetary needs and made on an annual basis for the following school year.
What percentage of the money raised goes to the schools and what percent covers administrative costs?
Administrative expenses for WCEF are low because volunteers do the majority of work. Current administrative costs represent less than 8% of the total budgeted foundation funds. The remaining 92% goes directly to the schools we serve.
What is the difference between WCEF and PTA/PTO fundraising?
The PTA/PTO organization associated with your child's school raises money for individual school site needs. PTA/PTO works with your school administration to allocate funds raised for various needs such as staffing, equipment, site improvements, etc. These funding efforts are supplemental to WCEF.
It takes funds from these primary sources — PTA/PTO and WCEF to subsidize the huge gap in state funding necessary to sustain the academic enrichment programs and student services essential to the distinguished schools our children enjoy today.
How will California’s fiscal crisis impact our schools?
California’s education budget cuts impact academic programs, student support services, enrichment programs and teachers and staff. To learn more about the current fiscal situations our districts face, go to www.walnutcreeksd.org and www.acalanes.k12.ca.us
Will my employer match my contribution to WCEF?
Check with your company’s Human Resources department to find out. You may also check our partial list of employers offering matching programs.
Can I designate that my donation support the specific elementary school my child attends?
No. WCEF was established to fund District-wide educational programs which provides academic and student support continuity for all students in grades K-12. Because we work closely with the Districts and schools to identify funding needs - and allocate money accordingly – you can be assured that the money you contribute will directly benefit the quality of funded programs and services at your child(ren)’s school(s).